Thursday, January 12, 2012

Socks and Other Projects

Just a little update on what I've been up to lately (but not necessarily in chronological order)...


First, I finished the sock and started on its partner.  What's even more exciting is that it fits!  What I'm a little afraid of, however, is that I won't like the feel on my feet.  It is definitely different from the mostly cotton socks I usually wear.  I'm reserving judgement until I get both of them done and wear them for more than the few seconds when I tried the first one on.


This is a thread catcher that I made some time before Christmas.  I was having thread catcher envy from all the ladies who I went on the last quilting retreat with.  They all had these beautiful thread catchers made with fun, brightly colored fabrics.  I decided I wanted one made from Laurel Burch cat fabric.  No, I don't own any of that fabric, but that doesn't stop us, right?  You may have noticed that this particular thread catcher has no visible cats on it.  I went looking for the fabric of my dreams, and came up short.  The fabric I had in mind is no longer in print.  And, when I went searching for it on the internet, I found it was more expensive than gold.  So, I raided my stash and cut into some of that sacred fabric I had bought many, many, many years ago with no project in mind and was afraid to cut into.  Irises are my favorite flower.  This was a good project for the fabric because I'll get to see it often.  And, frankly, I don't LOVE the fabric nearly as much as I did 20 years ago.



Another true confession... I am obsessed with boxes, bags and other storage things.  I could spend obscene amounts of money at the Container Store.  They don't have to have anything in them, but for some reason I like containers.  



When I saw this at the Quilter's Gathering in November, I bought the pattern knowing I had to make one or more of these cute little bags.  Here she is.  Now I have no idea of what to do with it.  It's a bit on the small size (about 9" from tip to tip and 5" tall) and because of the shape and stiff interfacing (Timtex) doesn't want to stay open.  Currently I'm using it to hold my sock knitting, but it's a bit small for that because the needles stick out.  Maybe with a floppier interfacing, it would be easier to stay open.  Any ideas on a good use for a small bag?


1 comment:

  1. Mair, Great job on all your projects! You have been a busy girl! I am so glad you are updating your blog more often. I always enjoy reading your posts :)
    Are you making your socks out of wool sock yarn? I love wool socks in the winter for keeping my feet warm. Of course, mine are store bought, which aren't half as nice as hand knit ones :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete