Thursday, February 10, 2011

OK, so here it is.  A brand new Blog.  Sort of like starting a brand new journal with pristine white pages, no marks, no doodles, no ideas. 

I spent about an hour today working on the machine quilting for my 9-patch quilt.  All the blocks are from internet exchanges that I particated in between 1993 and 1994.  I think therea re 132 blocks in the quilt.  This is what my quilting station looks like at the moment.


My space is rather cramped, but I can manage a full sized quilt like this with little problem.  Right now I am just doing straight stitching so I don't have to worry much about spreading the quilt out. 

To make the quilt more interesting, and to make the quilting more interesting for me, I've divided the quilt into quadrants and am quilting each quadrant differently. This first section is getting all stitch in the ditch in the blocks and sashing.  I have about one more hour of work until I complete that.  Another section will also get straight stitching, but something more interesting.  A third section will have some sort of curved pattern in each block and the last will have an over-all corved design that covers the entire section.  I'm planning to have this complete by the end of February. 

I find that I can only sit at the sewing machine for an hour at a time because I hunch up my shoulders and get a stiff back.  I have to constantly remind myself to relax and enjoy. 

Time to relax with some hand work.

Mair

No comments:

Post a Comment